Officially launched on May 15th, 2012, Gool FM is the first and only all-sports radio station in Somalia and is the most reliable source of information for lovers and administrators of sports in Somalia. This station came out of need in the Somalia media as there are no stations that give considerable time to sports despite the increasing number of fans in the country.
Gool FM’s content is made up of live commentaries, sports phone-ins and general phone-in discussions. Through its programming, Gool will take sports media in Somalia to greater heights.
To be the first source of sports information in Somalia and create a robust sports industry in Somalia.
To provide information and education that promotes local sports industry and provide a platform for audience interaction and participation everyday while continuously contributing to national development.
Why Gool FM?
The decision to establish Gool FM came as a result of considering the following facts:
1. Local radio stations throughout Somalia do not give enough time to sports. Majority of stations have 30-minute program a day, a time that is not sufficient to cover sports events.
2. The sports-loving community in Somalia is hampered by the limited access to TV or Internet access to follow world sports. Also language is a major challenge as content in sports in available in foreign languages such as English, French, or Arabic.
3. The local sports fever has been growing high since December 2010, as several tournaments were separately held in Puntland, Somaliland, and Mogadishu. The turnout has been massive especially in Mogadishu despite security challenges.
4. Somalia has untapped potential to produce world-class players in the fields of football, basketball, athletics, etc. Some Somalis who have made history in their fields such as Abdi Bile Abdi, Mo Farah, and Somali basketballers, who beat Qatar and Kuwait in Arab League Women Basketball, encourage us.
The objectives of Gool FM are:
1. To provide reliable information to the sports lovers and administrators in their own language and give them a platform for interaction.
2. To raise the awareness and knowledge of the public about the power of sports and get access to expert analysis.
3. Educating the general public about the power of sports to act as an instrument for peace and development.
4. Developing local robust sports industry that creates economic opportunities.
5. Promote the profile of young people with sports talent who have the potential for success both in the country and abroad.
6. Promote peace, reconciliation, and social interaction among communities through sports.
7. Promoting best sports practices among the players.
8. Draw the attention of the young people from violence, drugs, etc to a more decent life. 9. Record Somalia’s sports history. 10. Set an example for other media on how to broadcast sports.
Excellency – we seek excellence in all our endeavors, and we are committed to continuous improvement.
Integrity – We are committed to the principles of truth and honesty, and we will be equitable, ethical, and professional.
Service – We believe that serving the public is a noble and worthy endeavor.
Diversity – We respect others and value diversity of opinion, freedom of expression, and other backgrounds.